Interesting location of Sierpc province causes that it is an attractive region with respect to tourism. We can spend the weekend in many different ways here. We can admire known and unknown monuments, abundant culture and wonderful nature.
Sierpc – Mochowo – Sikórz – Płock – Sierpc (route – approximately 80 km)
Visiting Sierpc it is best to start from the 17th-century Benedictine convent pinpointed on the Loret hill. It is the largest monumental architectonic development in town. In church there is a miraculous figure of Sierpc Mother of God and at the foot of the hill – a small well with healing water.
A unique monument of sacral architecture is the Church of the Holy Spirit (plac Chopina), which in the second half of the 15th century functioned as hospital chapel of a hamlet for the disabled and the elderly. After the restoration in the 18th century the chapel was upgraded to a church. There are original frescos dated back to the 16th century there.
The oldest monument in Sierpc is a St. Vitus, Modestus and Crescentia’s parish church. Probably erected in 14th or 15th century partly burnt in fire in 1794. It was fully rebuilt only in 1864. During Hitler’s occupation it was changed into a warehouse. Between 1952 and 1953 the building was renovated thoroughly.
The Classical town hall (Pl. Kardynała Wyszyńskiego 1) built in the second half of the 19th century is also worth seeing. Interesting temporary displays depicting diverse art fields as well as the Mazovian culture, culture of other regions and countries are presented here.
The next stop is Mochowo village with St. Martin’s Church erected in the 17th century. It is a rare example of classical wooden sacral architecture in history of architecture. In the main altar a 17th-century painting of Saint Mary Major was placed.
From Mochowo we are driving to Sikorz – a village situated on the River Skrwa on the boundary of Brudzeński Landscape Park. There is a 19th-century palace and park complex of the Piwnickis’ family visited, among others, by Tadeusz Dołęga-Mostowicz and Julian Tuwim, reminding Sikórz
a few times in “Polish flowers”. Neogothic parish Church of the Holy Trinity should be worth visiting, too.
The last stop is Plock. A great asset of Plock is a glamorous view spreading from the Tum Hill on the River Vistula ice-marginal valley. Over the bank red towers of the Mazovian Dukes’ Castle predominate. The castle erected in the 14th century was in further centuries reconstructed many times. In the 16th century it was taken over by the Benedictines who built a church and monastery here. Since 2008 the building has been the seat of the Diocesan Museum. Except for abundant collection of sacral art (including unique works of goldsmith’s art from the cathedral treasury) the Museum possesses an abundant collection of robe belts as well as precious manuscripts, incunabula and antique books, among others, Plock Bible from the 12th century and 18th-century Plock location act. In the vicinity of the Museum there is a cathedral basilica in Plock. It is a classic example of
a historical monument from over eight centuries in whose structure and decoration are legible interferences of the following centuries with their separate architectonic styles. In the Royal Chapel lay the remains of Polish kings (Władysław Herman and Bolesław Krzywousty) and Plock dukes.
The Mazovian Museum in Plock having the largest collection of Art Novueau in Poland should be visited. The museum is located in a tenement in Tumska Street. Tenement parts of the interior were arranged for bourgeois flat. In 2011 a multimedia exhibition “Ten centuries of Plock” was opened.
An interesting attraction, in particular, for children is Zoological Garden in Plock. Pinpointed in
a picturesque place at the Vistula River, it has an abundant collection of animals from all over the world and one of the most interesting herpetariums in Poland.
Sierpc – Szczutowo – Łukomie – Rościszewo – Bieżuń- Sierpc (route – approximately 60 km)
Szczutowo is an enchanting village distanced from Sierpc by 11 km, located among forests and in the vicinity of two lakes: Szczutowskie Lake and Urszulewskie Lake. 2 wooden churches are worth seeing here. The first situated in the village centre 18th-century parish church of Holy Mary Madeleine. The second –succursal church of Saint Lawrence erected in 1720, located in the neighbourhood of voivodeship road No 560 Sierpc – Rypin.
If the weather allows and we do not want to go further – we can stop in a Holiday Centre situated at Urszulewskie Lake. The centre located in the forest possesses a guarded bathing beach and rental of water equipment (boats, kayaks, pedal boats).
From Szczutów we are going to Łukom where we can see a wooden church of St. Catherine erected in 1761. Among the monuments of sacral art a baroque pulpit dated to 1881 and chasubles dated to 17th and 18th centuries are worth attention.
Rościszewo possesses an interesting park and court complex with late-baroque mansion from the 18th century. In summer of 1827 Fryderyk Chopin together with Zboiński earl stayed in the mansion. Today administration and cultural centre with a memorial room of F. Chopin is situated here. You can also visit a baroque wooden church of St. Joseph erected in the second half of the 18th century.
The next stop is Bieżuń. In a renovated 19th-century bourgeois building the Museum of the Small Town has its seat. On the breakthrough of 19th and 20th centuries hospital was located there –
a poorhouse run by dr Antoni Wolski – a doctor who for almost half a century practiced in Bieżuń. Permanent exhibition located on the ground floor is dedicated to him. The Office of a provincial doctor was recreated, furnished in original furniture from the first quarter of the 20th century, couch and gynaecological table from the period between the wars, full sets of obstetric utensils, appliances and medical equipment. In rooms adjacent to the office the look of bourgeois residential interiors was recreated, bedroom from the 20s of the 20th century with birch-wood furniture and a small living room – a parlour as a potential meeting place of local intelligence.
Two rooms at the attic are occupied by a permanent exhibition titled “Bieżuń and its inhabitant in the olden days” covering town history; primary events from its history and people involved since the oldest times till 1947. The collection includes many old photographs, documents and personal memorabilia illustrating almost 600-year-old town history. In the museum interesting temporary displays are also presented.
Sierpc-Szczutowo- Łukomie- Rościszewo – Sierpc Route is approx. 38 km long. You can ride it by bicycle easily.
Sierpc – Gójsk – Skępe – Toruń (route – approximately 90 km)
Gójsk is a small village located at the state road No 10 (Warszawa – Bydgoszcz). Here there is
a neogothic Church of the Holiest Heart of Jesus of 1906 – the building erected in accordance with the design of an architect Stefan Szyller. It possesses two characteristic monumental front towers. In the main altar there is a 19th-century sculpture of the Merciful Christ and in lateral naves there are 17th-century paintings of caring Mother of God and St. Joseph with God’s Child.
Only 10 km further Skępe is located – a small town with the oldest Shrine to the Virgin Mary in the Dobrzyn Land. Beginnings of the Shrine in Skępe are related to first revelations of the Mother of God that took place in the 90s of the 15th century. At that time a daughter of the Kościelecki castellan (Skępe’s owner) funded a figure of the Mother of God present in minster up to now to thank for her miraculous recovery. The figure was famous for its miracles and its fame spread quickly. In 1755 the statue was crowned, covered with a coat of silver sheet metal, ornamented with plant flagellum and
a half-moon was placed at the feet of St. Mary. The shrine in Skępe has been a place of pilgrimages of the believers from different regions of Poland to the Figure of the Mother of God in Skępe famous for its miracles for over 500 years.
The last trip destination is Toruń located approximately 90 km from Sierpc. It is one of the most preferably visited cities in Poland. During the stay in this historical place you should take a walk around the Old Town surrounded by gothic and renaissance tenements and stop at the Artus Court.
A monumental Old-Town Town Hall situated at the Centre of the Old-Town Market Square is one of the largest and the most magnificent buildings of this type in Europe. It was built at the end of 14th century that is in the period of crowning development of the Medieval Old Town Toruń. The oldest part of the present building is a tower dated to approximately 1274 gorgeously ornamented with typical gothic ornamentation, enlarged in 1385 to the present height of 40m. Today in the Town Hall there is a District Museum where apart from the interiors you can admire, among others, the collection of gothic art (sculpture, painting, a unique collection of magnificent stained glasses), Torun coins as well as arts and crafts (among others moulds of gingerbreads, intarsias). Among characteristic buildings in Toruń are a Leaning Tower built in the 14th century and Władysław Dziewulski Planetarium. Semi-circular dome and rotund shape of the Planetarium building causes that it is the most recognisable and characteristic buildings of the Old Town in Toruń. One of the largest churches in Poland – St. Johns’ Cathedral or post- Franciscan church of the Blessed Virgin are also worth visiting. Finally, you should cross the Vistula River by a tourist boat (from in front of the Bridge Gate) or walk (through the Piłsudski’s Bridge) – to Kępa Bazarowa, an island from which you can admire
a magnificent view of Vistula panorama of Toruń – proclaimed the second of seven Polish wonders.